Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Weight Lifted

We have decided, my husband and I, that we are not going through with the feeding tube surgery. One of the ladies that comes to the house to work with the boys came by today, but not to work with the boys. She came to let us know that ever since I told her about the surgery she has been praying and that she thinks we should get a second opinion. From her perspective, he is doing too well for a setback like this. She said that she has seen kids that need feeding tubes and it is because they don't eat. That isn't the case for the Munchkin. She prayed with us and then Brad and I talked about it and we decided that we will not be taking him for surgery. The doctors' office called to ask us if we were confirming our surgery date and I said well actually I tried to call you but the office recording came on. We are not having the surgery. And I told her our reasoning. The nurse at the office said, Well, good! If you don't feel he needs it then you know him best. If the Doctor feels very strongly against this the she will call you. I deeply thanked her for her call and making me feel better about our decision.

Thank you to everyone for praying for our family!

Last night I was able to go to a bible study at the church. It is a 10 week study and I went at week 7. I didn't realize I would be joining in the middle but I am sure glad I did. We are doing Beth Moore's-Believing God. Wow, it is so amazing! The part that stuck out in my mind is when she says that "There are times when we cry out to god-Lord what do you want me to do in this situation- and he says-I already gave you an answer, you're just looking for a different one." How true! With this feeding tube I didn't want to get it but I wanted it to be the Doctors decision not mine. I did not want the responsibility of having the decision on my hands. If it hindered his current physical abilities, then it wasn't my fault. If he continued to not gain weight, then it wouldn't be my fault ( If I was able to talk her out of the feeding tube) Now Brad and I have made this decision together, not because we can blame one another later if we made a poor choice but because we know our son. We know how well he is doing right now, and we can't possibly hinder that growth.

8 comments:

Blended said...

Good for you for trusting your "mommy gut." You know what your kids need more than anyone else in the world, but realizing that is that hardest thing you have to do! I'm so happy for all of you! Please give Nathan my hugs and kisses (and also one more pound)...

Lydia said...

I'll email you later, but wanted to say publicly - WHOOHOO! I'm thrilled about this decision! I know it was tough but it's not like you can't decide to do it later, right? I also will talk to you about Beth Moore, I think I've done almost ALL her studies- I can tell you about my favorites:) Talk to ya later!
-L

The Evans Crew said...

Hey there, I too work on the "mommy gut" theory, and it sounds like you made the right decision. We've been there before with our girls, and it's difficult sometimes to make that "blind faith" kind of decision, but it seems like it always works out better than way!

I am happy that your little one is making such progress, that says so much about the care and support he is getting from you and your husband!!!!!

Take care!

Monica said...

Amen. You've shown great wisdom in this whole matter. It's never easy to step up and say "no" for our children when the other person is looking out for their best interest. You certainly know and love your child more and have been given guard over them in every way.

I'll be praying for your little guy's continued progress.

Katie said...

Wow Kristen. Good for you for doing what you know is right for your son! You guys are in my prayers :)

The Letter 'W' said...

Trust your mommy instinct! You know your kids best!

Cris said...

Praise the Lord. I was just thinking about you and wanted to see what you have been up to. I need to call you sometime soon! I'm glad you feel good about your decision! God is good and the Munchkin is in His hands. Please keep us posted. Also, we need to try and get together, both of our families sometime if possible. I have my mom in town until mid August, but after that lets try to work something out! Sending love girl!

Genny said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy and crying right now from reading this (darn pregnancy hormones!). I'm so glad that you guys were able to make this decision, and I know that it is in his best interest, and I'm sure it's after lots and lots of prayer. I've been waiting for this post and I'm so glad it came!